Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tortilla Pinwheels


As I gazed into my seemingly empty refrigerator I was reminded of a recipe my mom had made AGES ago when I was growing up. My mom was making appetizers for a party, and needed something small, simple, and spectacular looking. I'm not sure where she saw the recipe or got the idea from, but since then I've seen the same basic recipe on the internet and in cookbooks.

Take room temperature tortillas and slather on some cream cheese to the edges. Layer on some deli meats and baby spinach, cheese, or any other toppings you'd like, and then roll the tortilla up. My mom then sliced the tortilla into "coins" (no tooth pick necessary since the cream cheese kept it all together) but I ate it the other day just as a delicious wrap-- mine wasn't quit so colorful as the examples below (mine was only cream cheese, ham, and american cheese) but it really hit the spot!

Ironically on the same day I recreated this long-forgotten creation a friend blogged about a similar dish she'd made (thanks SCHPINKY) and so-doing she gave me the courage to blog about this simple, yet delightful treat. The photo is neither HERS nor mine, I found it online- but it gives you an idea as to how you can take the basic tortilla pinwheel and make it your own, with various deli meats and flavored tortillas. One recipe I found (while looking for photos) suggested avocado dip instead of the cream cheese, and another recipe added powdered ranch mix to the cream cheese.... YUM-O! Experiment away my friends, and let me know what you think.

2 comments: